Tuesday, November 22, 2005

OPEN HOUSE, DO THEY STILL EXIST? (PART II)

Last week a friend invited us over to her house also in Bukit Beruntung for Raya 'open house' on Saturday 19 November. So on Friday night we drove to our home in Beruntung to stay for the weekend. My little toddler was so happy as she loves the house there with the big space that she has to run around and her toys to play with.
On Saturday morning, we went out for breakfast and decided to buy a 'baju kurung' for my little daughter to wear for the open house. We managed to find one which fitted her but was a little bit long in the sleeves and the sarong. So when we reached home, I had to stitch the sarong and sleeves so that my baby girl would be able to wear it.
As we were sitting at home doing our own stuff, one of the neighbours (we don't actually know him at all) came by and invited us to his Raya open house he was hosting that afternoon. I was totally surpised but had to decline as the time clashed with my friend's open house.
Hmmm........looks like the spirit of 'open house' still exists but only in the suburbs, kampongs and when the ministers hold theirs at PWTC etc. In other places, like apartment buildings, 'open house' still exist but only for invited family and friends. None of the neighbours who had open houses here at their apartments invited their neighbours. Ah, but I too am one of them. I barely know my imediate next door neighbours and only am on speaking terms with the couple living on the ground floor. Sad huh?
Anyway, I like to thank my neighbour who invited us to his home and maybe next year when we are able to hold a Christmas open house, I will invite him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment